Warm foods are the best on a cold autumn day. Usually porridge is eaten when people are sick or feeling ill. But I prefer eating Korean style chicken porridge for any situation. I love Korean chicken porridge; it’s absolutely delicious with simple and hearty ingredients. There is garlic in the soup, but fortunately it does not smell strongly of garlic.
Korean Chicken Porridge:
2 lb chicken, with bones and skin
16 garlic cloves
6 cups water
2 cups sweet rice
1-1/4 tsp sea salt
10 black pepper corns
green onions for garnish
1. Rinse and soak the sweet rice in a bowl of water for at least 3 hours.
2. In a large pot boil chicken, 10 garlic cloves and pepper corns in 6 cups of water for 2 hours.
3. Remove cooked chicken pieces from the pot and strain out garlic cloves and pepper corns. Remove any excess skin or fat from the broth. Shred the chicken meat into thin pieces.
4. Add the pre-soaked sweet rice, shredded chicken meat, 6 garlic cloves and sea salt into the broth and boil on high heat for 20 minutes. Constantly stir the porridge to prevent it from burning.
5. Serve and garnish with thinly sliced green onions.